Who doesn't want improved memory?
What if I told you green vegetables are neuro-protective which means eating them helps with our memory and our ability to think clearly?
According to a 2017 study conducted by Rush University Medical Centre in Chicago:
One serving of leafy greens a day may slow brain ageing by 11 years!
Now would you be interested in finding out the best ways to get greens into your diet?
The study results suggest that people who ate one serving of green, leafy vegetables had a slower rate of decline on tests of memory and thinking skills than people who rarely or never ate them.
If you want to nerd up and read more, here’s the link: https://www.rush.edu/news/press-releases/daily-leafy-greens-may-slow-cognitive-decline
What kinds of green vegetables will help us reap the benefits of the results found in this study? Most green vegetables will weave their nutritious magic into your brain cells so the sooner you get started the best :)
Here are 10 green vegetables for you to add to your day:
- Iceberg lettuce - great to add to your lunchtime sandwich
- Rocket - top it on your avocado toast for some crunch and a bit of spice
- Kale - add to your smoothies!
- Spinach - add to soups, stews and smoothies
- Bok Choy - used in your stir fries
- Broccoli - slightly steamed and throw into salad mixes
- Cabbage - turned into coleslaw as a side dish
- Rainbow Chard - cooked up in a fry pan with garlic
- Romaine lettuce - for great salad mix
- Brussel sprouts - no, seriously. They are delicious (see recipe attached)
Roasted Brussel Sprout with Maple Balsamic Glaze
*pic courtesy of Pinterest
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
1 kg Brussel Sprouts, cleaned, peeled, trimmed and cut in halves.
3 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix olive oil, maple syrup, balsamic, salt and black pepper.
- Toss in the Brussel sprouts and coat well
- Place Brussels sprouts on the baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 30-35 minutes; stirring and rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- When they start to look crispy and golden, remove from oven, salt to taste and serve immediately
Pineapple & Passionfruit Green Smoothie
1. In your blender add 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 1/2 passionfruit, a handful kale leaves and 1 cup milk of choice or coconut water
2. Crumble in 1 Transformer Super Greens Smoothie Bomb for nutrition & flavour
3. Blend until smooth
(BHSc Nutritional Medicine)
P.S don't forget you can send me a health question to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll do the nutrition research to find the best answers for you! 😃
This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment. If you or any other person has a medical concern, you should consult with your health care provider or seek other professional medical treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something that have read on this blog or in any linked materials.