Migraines & You – The Smoothie Bombs

Free shipping at $85 | Free express at $200

Migraines & You

Migraines suck. I use to get them regularly and remember the pain being so debilitating that it would make me vomit. Their onset would send me into a panic and I’d need to go lie down in a dark room with a pillow over my head to avoid any light. Sound familiar? Millions of Aussies suffer from migraines and scientists still don’t know exactly why they occur.

There are two main types - Common Migraines, which affect 80% of sufferers, and classic migraines, affecting the remaining 20%. Both have a similar unilateral pulsing pain usually behind one eye and across the forehead. However, while the common variety can be painful, sufferers are typically able to carry on with their daily activities. The classic type is less friendly and makes day to day activities more challenging. Sufferers of classic migraines can be triggered by many environmental factors like bright lights. They can also experience unpleasant visual symptoms like flashing lights and blind spots, vomiting, and nausea. No fun at all!

So, are there ways to prevent them? What kinds of changes are required? The real answer, like many things, is that it depends on the person. My migraines were related to stress. They peaked when I was in a complicated relationship that caused me a lot of emotional pain. Once I left that situation, the migraines stopped occurring.

For some, migraines can be triggered by hormonal imbalances, which is more common in women. If you tend to get migraines around your monthly cycle, then it may help to visit your doctor to see if they can regulate your hormones.

It has also been reported that some foods can cause the onset of a migraine - the main culprit being caffeine, which not only includes coffee and tea but also chocolate and energy drinks. The sensitivity can vary with each person depending on how they metabolize caffeine and their lifestyle choices (including sleep, diet and stress levels).

No matter what kind of migraines you have and what triggers them, there are things you can do to take control back. Here are my top five tips to reduce the onset of migraines:

  1. Reduce Stress - get a handle on your stress levels and try to avoid situations that trigger a stress response.
  2. Food sensitivities - keeping a food diary is a great practice. Try it out and see if there are any patterns between the things you eat and the onset of migraines.
  3. Drink plenty of water - some migraines can be caused by dehydration, so try to keep up good habits around drinking water.
  4. Take magnesium regularly - 200-500g daily can help reduce migraines and tension headaches.
  5. Sleep better - a restful night will not only help reduce stress but also help strengthen your immune/nervous system to support overall wellbeing.

Give these tips a go and let me know if they help you. 

Yours in health,

 cinzia cozzolino, the smoothie bombs founder
(BHSc Nutritional Medicine)

This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment. If you or any other person has a medical concern, you should consult with your health care provider or seek other professional medical treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something that have read on this blog or in any linked materials.  

Older Post
Newer Post

1 comment

  • Thank you


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Close (esc)


Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now